Monday, February 14, 2022

Jason's Gallery - Black History Month 2022: John Stewart

Hal Jordan and John Stewart: Two Green Lanterns, bound by honor and equality!

Hal (thinking): "When I first met John Stewart, I wasn't crazy about him and why the Guardians picked him to be a Green Lantern, especially his reputation as a tough-as-nails soldier. But after seeing him in action, not just as Green Lantern, but also a great, honorable man, my opinions on him changed. Looking back on my skepticism, I was a complete and utter bonehead for thinking otherwise. Like with Abin Sur giving me the ring, I think the Guardians made the right call. John is a very efficient and brave Green Lantern. One that I would be proud to fight alongside with. Wish I could say the same about Guy Gardner, but that's another story."

In honor of Black History Month, I give you this fanart of the most toughest, bravest and efficient Green Lantern of Sector 2814, John Stewart. First appearing in Green Lantern #87 between the end of 1971 and the beginning of 1972 and based on the likeness of the late Sidney Poitier, John Stewart became the backup Green Lantern after the other backup, Guy Gardner, got injured. Where Hal Jordan was a pilot, Stewart is both an architect and a soldier. With his experiences in both fields, Stewart can make his constructs very easily and a bit more effected, especially in battle. I never read his adventures in the comics, but I saw him in action the DC Animated Universe, especially with Justice League and Static Shock, especially in the latter, where Virgil Hawkins (Static) idolizes the guy and not to mention both Virgil and John are voiced by the same guy, Phil LaMarr. Like Killowog, Stewart is one tough solider you don't want to cross, especially when being trained under him like the drill seargent he is. In short, John Stewart is one Green Lantern, one great hero, who can make a difference, no matter what skin color you have. Fight on, Green Soldja!


No comments: