Sunday, December 7, 2014

Weekday Afternoon TV Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of My Afternoon TV Retrospect. In this part I'll be sharing my personal Weekday Afternoon TV experience. And for the grand finale,I'll be listing the shows that aired on these Weekday Afternoon blocks..

And now, it's showtime.

When I was a kid,I used to watch Weekday Afternoon TV almost daily. I don't remember much about which block I watched first,It was either the WB's block or The USA's Cartoon Express. I remember I didn't watch Fox's block until mid '87,because I remember watching Thundercats on that Network. I guess it was both the WB and the USA Networks.

I recall watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the WB during the 80's..but thats all I remember about the block during that time..at least during the afternoons. The USA Network Cartoon Express I think I watched more,because I remember watching more shows from that block during that time. Shows like: He-Man,The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm show,and Others.

In '88 is when I really started to get into the Weekday Afternoon Blocks. I was tuned into Fox's block almost every afternoon,watching shows like Thundercats,Alvin and the Chipmunks,Heathcliff,and Inspector Gadget. In '89,I got into the Super Mario Bros.Super Show. From then on I've became a big fan of Fox's block. I didn't watch the USA Networks Block anymore,mainly because I forgot it still existed and I didn't watch the Disney Afternoon until after it moved to the WB.

Before then,I didn't watch the WB much,in fact I didn't at all. Come 1990,I was switching between The Disney Afternoon and Fox's block. Though by '91 I was mostly watching Fox. 1 show I will never forget from the Fox block is Peter Pan and The Pirates. I don't remember what I liked about it,but I do remember it well. I watched Tiny Toon Adventures when they began airing. Beetlejuice and Tom and Jerry's Kids as well.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was my first real exposure to the Tokusatsu/Super Sentai Genre. I watched that every chance I got. I loved watching Animaniacs and thought that Bobby's World had charm.

When,The Disney afternoon Moved to UPN,I didn't watch it that much. In Fact,the only time I ever watched UPN was on Sunday Mornings. I never found myself watching Cartoon Network's Pre-Toonami blocks much either.

I started watching WB more in '96. The shows i watched before the Kids WB weekday block aired were Samurai Pizza Cats,Mega Man,and Sailor Moon. After the non-WB shows were over, I'd switch between WB and Fox.

Though,in '97,I didn't watch them as much. When the clock struck 4,I switched to Cartoon Network to watch Toonami.Toonami was one special block. It also introduced me to The World of Anime. I really loved that block and watched it religiously. I have a ton of fond memories with Toonami. In '98, it became my favorite Weekday Afternoon block. I was annoyed when Toonami moved to Saturday nights,though I still watched it...at least for a few more years.

I watched Miguzi a bit,but not much. In 2002,With Fox Kids gone and Kids WB's weekday block dead,I became a watcher of ABC Family's block. And until 2002/2003,I switched between that block and Toonami. Though,this wasn't my 1st experience with the ABC Family block. I used to watch it every now and then in the early 90's when it was The Family Channel.

In the 90's I also watched Nick in The Afternoon,though I didn't watch it that much. In fact,The only thing memorable about that block was Stick Stickly. When The Weekday Afternoon Blocks became defunct in the mid to late 2000's,I stuck to playing video games.

However,In 2010 I began watching the Hub Network and I liked it. I always tuned into it's weekday afternoon block[which would later be known as huboom] and loved every minute of it. Sadly,in 2013,the block was canned due to executive meddling. I can Never Ever forgive Discovery Communications for doing this. And now that The Hub Network is Discovery Family,The Action Cartoon Block can Never return.

Thanks Discovery Communications for being such blatant Assholes. I hope you all get killed in the streets.

Well that wraps it up for this section. Weekday Afternoon TV was a great time in my life. After a painful day at school,I always looked forward to watching my favorite Weekday Afternoon shows.

So here's to Weekday Afternoon TV. May it return for future generations to enjoy.

And now here's that list of shows i was talking about. ===============================================================
USA Network:

Yogi's Gang
Scooby-Doo
The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show
Captain Caveman
Wacky Races
Yogi's Treasure Hunt
Laugh-o-Lympcs
Dyno-Mutt
Superfriends
He-Man
She-Ra
Filmation's Ghostbusters
Smurfs
Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n Wrestling
Mr.T
G.I.Joe:A Real American Hero
The Transformers
The Real Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Pac-Man
Jem
Voltron
Alvin and the Chipmunks
M.A.S.K.
Garfield and Friends[?]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox [pre-fox kids]:
Heathcliff
Inspector Gadget
The Real Ghostbusters
Alvin and the Chipmunks
The Super Mario Bros.Super Show
Club Mario
The DJ Cat Show
Silverhawks
Thundercats
Ducktales
Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox [fox kids network/fox kids]:

Peter Pan and The Pirates
Beetlejuice
Tom and Jerry's Kids
Tiny Toon Adventures
Batman:The Animated Series
Power Rangers[1st saban era]
Animaniacs
X-Men
Spider-Man:The Animated Series
Casper[the 90's show]
Big Bad Beetleborgs
Masked Rider
Ninja Turtles:The Next Mutation
Bobby's World
Digimon[first 3 seasons]
Eek The Cat
Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego
The Tick
Taz-Mania
NASCAR Racers
Godzilla
The Big Guy and Rusty
Transformers: Robots in Disguise (the anime)
Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WB [non-disney or wb]:

Dennis The Menace
Samurai Pizza Cats
Sailor Moon[the dic dub]
Mega Man
Biker Mice From Mars
Garfield and Friends{?]
The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
G.I.Joe [dic series]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WB [disney afternoon]:

Ducktales
Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Bonkers
The Gummi Bears
Timon and Pumbaa
Aladdin
Gargoyles
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WB [kids wb]:

Looney Tunes
Animaniacs
Freakazoid
Tiny Toon Adventures
Histeria
Road Rovers
Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
Pinky and the Brain
Dragon Ball Z[for a short time]
Sailor Moon[for a short time]
Teen Titans[for a short time]
Men and Black:The Series
Superman:The Animated Series
Batman:The Animated Series
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
The Batman/Superman Adventures
Mucha Lucha
Pokemon [the 4kids seasons]
Yu-Gi-Oh
Jackie Chan Adventures
Mega Man:NT Warrior
Batman Beyond
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nickelodeon [nick in the afternoon]:

Various Nickelodeon Shows from 1991-1998.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPN [disney afternoon]:

Hercules:The Series
Gargoyles
The Mighty Ducks
Quack Pack
Snookums and Meat
Darkwing Duck
Timon and Pumbaa
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Family Channel/Fox Family/ABC Family:

Heroes on Hotwheels
The New Adventures of Speed Racer
Pro-Stars
Wish Kid
The Super Mario Bros.Super Show
The Adventures of Super Mario Bros.3
The New Super Mario World
Captain N
Popeye
Flint the Time Detective
Mega Man
Monster Rancher
Totally Spies
Power Rangers[the 1st saban era]
Power Rangers [disney era]
Digimon[the first 4 seasons]
Spider-Man:The Animated Series,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cartoon Network[pre-toonami]:

Captain Planet
Johnny Quest,
The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
Superfriends
Space Ghost
Birdman
Galaxy Trio
The Herculoids
Fantastic 4[hannah-barbera]
Swat Kats
Dyno-Mutt
G-Force
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cartoon Network [toonami]

Note: I'm only listing the Shows that aired during the block's afternoon run.

Thundercats
Voltron
The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
Superfriends
Sailor Moon
Dragon Ball Z
Reboot. I really loved that show.
Transformers Beast Wars
Gundam Wing
Robotech
Ronin Warriors
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi In Tokyo
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam 08 MS Team
Outlaw Star
Dragon Ball
Big O
Rurouni Kenshin
Cyborg 009
Card Captors
Hamtaro
Zoids
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Transformers Armada
SD Gundam
Batman Beyond
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cartoon Network [Miguzi]:

Totaly Spies
Code Lyoko
Hamtaro
Teen Titans 
Pokemon
Life and Times of Juniper Lee
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2k3)
Ben 10
Mucha Lucha
The Winx Club
Yu-Gi-Oh GX
Xiaolin Showdown
Krypto The Superdog
Mega Man NT Warrior.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hub Network [pre-huboom and huboom]:

Deltora Quest
Men in Black: The Series
Batman Beyond
Transformers Prime
G.I.Joe Renegades
Superman:The Animated Series
Batman:The Animated Series
The Aquabats Super Show
Dan.Vs.
==============================================
Well that's all. I really hoped you enjoyed this retrospect of Weekday Afternoon TV.

RIP - Classic Weekday Afternoon TV. 1960's-2000's.
 

2 comments:

RekkaDragonJay said...

Well done. And it's because of executive meddling is what made Deltora Quest the first AND only anime the ever aired on the Hub Network. And now the Hub is no more, there will never any anime ever on Discovery Family. FOR SHAME!!

Stefan said...

I tell ya Network Executives get Stupider and Stupider every year.

Anyway,I knew you'd enjoy this. I have a Sunday Morning retrospect planned. But what I have coming next,will Really be awesome.