Friday, April 19, 2024

CD-Based Tech and Blast Processing 10 Fold! - My Experience with the Sega CD

Behold! The Sega CD, and all of its technological progressed glory! 

Like the old saying goes, "You can never forget your first love." Which is exactly the case with an add on that is old as the Sega Genesis itself, the Sega CD. 

When I was first introduced to this system, I was blown away with its innovations at the time, especially with the first two games I laid eyes upon, Ground Zero: Texas and The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (the latter is a remake of the original Sega Genesis version what was released in 1991). Many years later, I got this add on for the Sega Genesis around Christmas and my first games I got were Brutal: Paws of Fury and Star Wars: Rebel Assault. Then, more games came and I had a blast with them, especially with The Terminator, especially with the awesome music done by Tommy Tallarico (Tommy T for the win!) I was like a kid in a candy store having a Sega CD at your disposal. Unfortunately, like all good things, it didn't last forever.

Aside from the games getting scratched, the Sega CD's laser lens and disc drive stopped working properly. That, and losing one game I liked, too, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side, due to poor treatment. I had poor experience with caring for CD based gaming consoles and its games at the time. And because of that, I threw away my Sega CD, and I haven't played those games ever since.

Fast Forward to today, I am now well-versed in taking care of CD-based gaming consoles and its games. If a disc has scratches, it is one Skip Doctor away of being cleaned. And when I needed to keep my console protected from dust and when it's not in use, I cover it up. With all the Playstations, Dreamcasts and Xboxs of the world, I still long for the day to play my Sega CD games once more. However, looking for another piece of Sega CD hardware is a bit hard to come by. Long ago, I wanted to get the Sega CDX as an alternative, so I don't have to worry about all the multiple hookups like both the Sega Genesis and Sega CD themselves. But like the aforementioned consoles, their laser lenses don't last forever, as well. Talk about being lost without a Sega CD to call your own, let alone going to sites like eBay.


The Mega SD by Terra Onion. A flash cart that plays not only Sega Genesis, Master System and 32X games (if you got a 32X system at toll), but also play Sega CD games, without the hassle of multiple hook-ups with your Sega CD hardware and its non-workable laser lens and CD drive. A must have for all Sega CD fans, like myself.


Fortunately, I was watching some YouTube videos and I have discovered that there is a way to play your Sega CD games once more, but without the use of hardware. It is called the Mega SD, it is a flash cart that you hook up to your Genesis console, which enables you to play Genesis, Master System and 32X games (if you got a 32X at your disposal). And here is the kicker, it also plays Sega CD games, as well. A must have for those who want to play Sega CD games once more, me being included. This will be my birthday or Christmas present cause I am planning to save up until that day comes. And who knows, one day, I will hear that bios load screen from version 2 of the Sega CD once more, which, to me at least, sounds like something NBC would use for their promos back in the late 1980s into the early 1990s before they cancelled the Saturday Morning cartoon block in 1992. The future is slowly getting brighter, especially for the first love CD based gaming consoles, like the Sega CD. 


My Sega CD Collection as of 2024 (thus far):

Sewer Shark
Brutal: Paws of Fury
Star Wars: Rebel Assault
The Terminator
Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck
Ground Zero: Texas
Dracula Unleashed
Dune

Like I said, I use to have Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side in my collection, but it was broken due to my inexperience with CD based games and its consoles at the time. Let the my experience serve as a reminder to always treat your CD-based consoles and their games with the upmost care and respect. Take it from me, I know.

Until next time, gamers. Stay frosty.


Saraba da (Farewell), for now.

No comments: