Saturday, March 17, 2018

Jason's Gallery - Women's History Month 2018 - Black Canary

Dinah Laurel Lance, my mother hen, my Black Canary!

In honor of Women's History Month, I give you my fanart of one proud woman, Dinah Laurel Lance aka Black Canary. I was trying to go for the Bruce Timm approach (which I did), but I somewhat combined that with not only her style from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but I regarding her hair, I got the bangs right (and used Ariel's hairstyle as inspiration), but I made it look like what Katie Cassidy would look (If she ever wants to play the DCAU Black Canary one day, fishnets and all). Not exactly perfect, but as long as I remember her leotard, pantyhose, choker, jacket and above all, her hair, she is just right. 

And on a personal note, ever since the Arrow episode, Collision Course, I have come to forgone conclusion that those 3 recruits are not as noble as they are, especially Laurel's successor, Dinah Drake (who was named after the Golden Age Black Canary herself), who is has since been driven by rage and hatred towards Oliver Queen (Rage and hate are the catalyst for becoming a member of the Red Lantern Corps, led by Atrocitus). Dinah Drake is not the Black Canary we thought she is. She is becoming a vengeance driven psychopath (and I am surprised that Quentin Lance didn't call her out and her hypocrisy). The more I dislike Dinah Drake, the more I become more of a fan of Black Canary (at least the DCAU version, anyway). The producers of Arrow showed no love for Black Canary, or in this case, Laurel Lance, that they had to kill her off, in favor of the Oliver/Felicity lover's spat aka Olicity. As for her Earth -2 doppelganger, Black Siren, there is no shed of redemption whatsoever.

In short, the DCAU version of Black Canary is the one Black Canary I can depend on. The one Black Canary I can talk out my problems with. The one Dinah Laurel Lance who can hug me when I feel sad. And above all else, a far better Black Canary than Dinah Drake in the Arrowverse, with no rage and hate in her heart whatsoever.

And to be frank, Sara Lance is a far better Canary than Dinah Drake, as well.

I just hope Juliana Harkavy doesn't get mad at me for speaking my mind. Sometimes, the truth really hurts, especially being a fan of Black Canary. Stay frosty and keep on rollin'. Until next time.

No comments: